Wednesday 4 November 2009

The Tipping point

Well, I've been thinking about this for some time.

When does something you enjoy doing for fun or "pocket" money become more of a chore and a job?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my baking and investigating new outlets and seeing how to develop "tobizzy2bake" (just had some business cards arrive- I'm very excited!), but don't see me baking 5 days a week.

My week is divided into the following activities:

- Baking cakes for Tobizzy2bake - perhaps this might mean between 5 to 8 cakes a week - would probably like to see this go up to nearer the 8 to 10, but not much more than that.
- Freelance insurance work (won't go in to the detail of what this involves here, but suffice it to say, this is the work that pays the bills!)
- I've decided I want to do some charity work, so have allocated 1 day a week (Thursday) to working in the local Acorns Hospice shop. I really am enjoying this outlet of my time.

One of the things that concerned me when I was made redundant was that after spending 20 years working in an office, how would I cope working at home? Well, I have had to re-work life and ensure I meet people - I most certainly couldn't stay at home all the time.

So, with going "legit" with my baking business, I have got to ensure it does not become a chore or another job whilst ensuring that I take some time to develop it some more.

That's the thoughts whilst I have been cooking today. Today I've delivered 2 Victoria sandwich sponges (here is a question for you - butter cream or fresh cream in the middle?) and have made chocolate fridge cake and in the process of making a Canadian Carrot cake.

Here it is in the process of being cooked:














The thing I haven't done is make cakes for photographing. I wonder whether the deli who is receiving this cake, will allow me to photograph it in situ? I can but ask?

Finally, here are a couple of pictures of my Victoria Sandwich sponge (two layer version)





And Amy, I haven't forgotten about your offer!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, what a decision! You're right about choosing something that makes you happy - I am currently in a situation where I might get the opportunity to make Star Bakery full time and as much as it excites me, it terrifies me too! I don't want to ever see baking as a chore but I think the idea of keeping some time aside to do something you genuinely love will make it all a little easier.

    ReplyDelete